random thoughts.

October 28, 2020

 Bismillah. 


programming is exciting, but it gives me stress i almost go crazy and throw my laptop out of window but i didn't because laptop is so mahalzz


Dulu, masa awal-awal blog ni ditubuhkan, aku seorang student. Budak mentah. Tahun ni aku masih lagi bergelar student, tapi di peringkat berbeza. Level up sikit. Student universiti. Hahaha.

10 September 2020, tarikh aku mendaftarkan diri di UTP. Universiti swasta. Tak pernah terfikir pun akan masuk kat universiti yang bagi aku a lil bit(not really a bit, a lot actually) berprestij. No aku tak kaya. I wan't born with a golden spoon in my mouth. Tak susah either. Just so-so family background. Aku dapat scholarship, Alhamdulillah. Rezeki. Tak sangka jugak.

First impression aku pasal UTP, is that it is a very secular university (no offense). A place where people don't care about religion, partying all night on weekends, no boundaries between a guy and a girl, solat ke laut etc. Okay. This is my first impression, based on stories I read and heard from friends and seniors. 

Ok before I dig deeper into my random thoughts tonight, aku nak cerita pasal UTP. I don't know if you guys know, but it is located in Seri Iskandar, Perak. Seri Iskandar ni is a place yang jalan raya sangat lengang, empty building shops, banyak tasik (my mum told me kat sini dulu banyak tasik bijih timah ?), jalan tak ada traffic lights blablabla. Pendek kata, memang kosong la Seri Iskandar ni. Yang bestnya, Ipoh. Ipoh ada banyak benda. Tapi sebab Covid-19, aku baru pergi sekali haritu. AEON Station 18. Dengan member-member.

sidenote : AEON Station 18 is nice, but not really since POPULAR Bookstore tak ada banyak buku :'(  i mean, whyyyyyy


UTP is a BIG HUGE GIGANTIC university, at least for me. From the main gate nak ke Village (residential village, accommodation for students), jauh gila. Haritu aku nak ambil barang kat main gate (since dia tak bagi j&t masuk sebab dia cuma allow PosLaju je masuk, which is idk whyyyy), aku pinjam basikal member kepada roommate aku, 20 minit pergi balik. Since aku dah biasa dengan berbasikal sebab kat rumah selalu naik basikal, hence it was not really tiring for me. But there's this one time, on my second day in UTP, ada parcel sampai kat main gate, aku dan Ainul beli webcam sebab camera laptop kitorang huduh gila hahahahahaha. Masa tu, kitorang second day di UTP, tak kenal jalan lagi. So kiranya macam nak uni tour laa gitu, kitorang jalan-jalan dari village, lalu ikut village 1, then ke chancellor hall yang sangat cantik, then baru pergi ke main gate dan lalu la dekat Masjid An-Nuur yang so prettyy.


IRC. Information Resource Centre. in other words, library :) located opposite of Chancellor Hall. so big, has an elevator. total level is around 5 or 6.


credit : google

Chancellor Complex. It's even prettier at night



my room when i first stepped into it. Village 4 looks like this. There's 6 villages in total, and each of them is designed differently.

credit source : google
Masjid An-Nuur. We got Pusat Islam An-Nuur as well, but it was so berhabuk and i'd never seen anyone enter it so far.



We took around 1 hour and half to get to the main gate and back to our village. It was SO TIRING but WORTH IT because we got the webcam and the view is so stunning. 

In UTP, we have this big park called Oval Park. Ada tasik besar kat situ, I think it is an artificial lake btw, we can lepak and hang out there because it was a nice place to hang out. The sunset is very pretty. In short, everything is so pretty about UTP except the distance.

Okay let's get back onto the track. Like i said, my first impression wasn't pretty. Too much secularism. I came from a religious school background, so there's this anxious feeling in my heart that I'm afraid to voice out. I am not a religious person (my school is though ahhahaha). I am just a normal person, who, well, kinda play around a lot. Aku bukan seorang yang berjiwa kental, iman aku rapuh. I know. Aku sangat-sangat takut kalau aku terjebak dengan kejutan budaya. Culture shock. That's scary.

I've had nightmares that I would come back home with no hijab, free hair, rambut berkarat, miniskirt, hidung bertindik. No offense. But that really scares me.

But life really tricks me. Kat sini, ada banyak persatuan yang mendorong pelajar untuk mengejar akhirat, contohnya Rakan Masjid. And the seniors here are very, i would say, religious. Some of the seniors I met. Not all, but many. Some of them wear tudung even bigger than mine. Some of them also confessed, they weren't like this before. They came from an urban family background, play music, dance at school and all. But they found peace here. They found their way back to Islam :)

Every Thursay night, there would be an online meeting conducted via Microsoft Teams to recite Surah Al-Kahfi together. 10 ayat terawal dan 10 ayat terakhir. For whoever who want to join. It really hit me hard. Makes me think over again and again. I couldn't even practice reading Al-Kahfi on Thursday night at home, and here I am, feeling so much better than others. Feeling holier-than-thou. Astaghfirullah.

This one housemate of mine colours her hair with perang colour, and once I felt weird when I saw her for the first time. But then I discovered she went to the Masjid An-Nuur, something not many people do because it is a long walk. I felt guilty. When I first met her, no I didn't think bad of her, but you know, there's this feeling of like, em, idk. Still feel guilty though.

Here in UTP, I learnt to appreciate all those times when I read the Quran, perform sunat prayers in my secondary school (which I didn't appreciate before. I hated it). To be able to read Quran, is like a blessing. It feels so different than the times I read it in school. It feels like, peace. Calming. So much of a bliss. Blessed. 

No I didn't feel this way before in school. At school, I didn't hate it. I just feel like rebelling because the rules are so strict. It was a routine that repeats every day. No time to play around (although we did play around anyway). People threw cynical looks at you if you are a troubled student. The student who would sleep in every mengaji class, in every perhimpunan, the one who didn't pay attention in Quran classes.

It feels good to feel like this reading Al-Quran. I didn't feel forced. I feel happy doing it. Although there's also this feeling of regretting a bit. I regret not spending my 5 years in school studying more about Islam, practicing my religion properly and appreciate my time there.  I could've spent the time better, and thinking about that makes me sad.

on another note : I think I was really a.... uh oh never mind.


I just finished reading Anthem, a novel by Hlovate, and there's this quote that stuck in my head.

"Islam tu bukan hak orang yang sekolah agama atau golongan-golongan tertentu je. Ingat tu. Islam tu hak sekalian alam. Do not let others tell you otherwise. Ever. It is yours as much as it is theirs."


Coming from a religious background, I am not ashamed. But I just couldn't be proud of it. Another reason why I like my identity to be anonymous. I am a Muslimah, but I am not really a good one. I am trying, but it is hard. To carry the name of a Muslimah and Hafizah, it is a huge responsibility. My attitude reflects my religion. If people knows I come from religious school, and a hafizah at that, I am afraid all my actions will get judged. Can't help it. I know it's wrong to judge a book by its cover, and it is even wrong to judge Islam by Muslims' actions. Islam is perfect, but Muslim is not. We are all humans at the end of the day, and we can't help but do sins. As long as we are trying to be better each day, inshaa Allah, it will be okay. 

Allah pandang usaha, bukannya hasil. Let's keep trying.

Seorang Muslim harus berpegang bahawa dia pada hari ini lebih baik daripada semalam.


This is so random. Anyway, let's pray for Covid-19 to be gone from this world. Let's pray the best for Malaysia.


#StaySafe




You Might Also Like

0 comments